PGDTF Archives

Planning Geomagnetic Disturbance Task Force

PGDTF@LISTS.ERCOT.COM

From:
"Richardson, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Planning Geomagnetic Disturbance Task Force <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2018 21:27:28 +0000
***** EXTERNAL email. Please be cautious and evaluate before you click on links, open attachments, or provide credentials. *****

PGDTF:

Stage 0 results from the 04122018 gic files have been posted.  A few notes:

1.       No matter what the dates say these runs are from the *.sav and *.gic files dated 04122018 as reflected in the files pointed to in the results

2.       This time I am providing the results in both text and *.xlsx format, in the future I only plan to provide the *.xlsx format so let me know if there's something you are getting from the text format that you don't see in the *.xlsx format

3.       Note that you can always change the paths referenced in my "Run_...py" files and produce the text version of the output reports. However, you can also produce the results in *.xlsx format using the "gic_report....py" file as I describe below.

4.       Notice that in your PTI files in the EXAMPLE folder there is a python file called gic_report.py.  With a few minor fixes I find this to be a very useful program to run to produce GIC reports in Excel format if you have the GIC module. So, I've included my fixed version in with the results.  To run it:

a.       Edit it and change the *.sav files to whatever *.sav file you are attempting to run and change the *.gic files to whatever *.gic files you plan to run and for the output file name you can do a search for our 04122018 files that are referenced and just change those file designations to whatever output file names you want to use.

b.      Find the statement below located at the bottom of the program and modify it to run the program with whatever parameters you want to run, actually the "," just after the "show=True" at the end of this statement should be deleted in the program:

run_gic_sample_excel_export(efield_mag=1.0, efield_deg=0.0, efield_type='benchmark', scan_storm_event='scan_d_m', power_flow_optn='fdns', string = ['event','qloss','bus','trn','sub','brn','fxsh','swsh','2tdc','vscdc','mtdc','facts','load','gic_e_n','gicmax'], show=True, )

c.       After you make your desired modifications to the statement referenced above copy that statement onto your clipboard and save the gic_report_fixed....py file

d.      Run the gic_report_fixed....py file

e.      After the file runs and waits for input from you past your modified statement from the clipboard in as the input and allow the program to finish running.

f.        When the program is finished your results should be in the gic_report_output folder.  However, note that if you do a degree and magnitude scan the values reported in the "GICmax" tab are in fact based on the Benchmark Electric Field at 8.00 V/km even though there's no label to indicate that - I verified this with PTI and they promised to label it better in the next release.

[cid:image001.png@01D3E943.DDB93720]

A. Benjamin Richardson, P.E.(Colorado)
Transmission and Interconnection Studies
2705 West Lake Drive
Taylor, TX 76574
O: 512-248-4505 | M:720-470-3643